In an age of accountability and transparency, headteachers are held responsible for everything from results to school finances. Because of this increased accountability, school leaders must regularly confront difficult ethical dilemmas.
Ethical Leadership in Schools teaches headteachers and aspiring headteachers the concepts that inform ethical choices in leadership roles. Using brief vignettes, Kenneth A. Strike explores common situations that headteachers are likely to encounter and presents questions and issues to help them determine the ethical path. This invaluable resource clearly explains complex ideas in an accessible, well-illustrated manner.
To help resolve the dilemmas that challenge every school leader, this book will:
- Guide readers through the process of making ethical decisions
- Link ethics to issues of accountability
- Provide scenarios that reflect the difficult choices facing principals
- Supply the tools to create ethical advice in varied contexts
- Examine the central principles of fair cooperation
The study of ethics should emphasize what makes a school a good educational community. By creating communities that are competent and caring, school leaders will be able to maximize their resources and meet the growing demands of accountability.