While the Occupy movement faces many strategic and organizational challenges, one of its major accomplishments has been to draw global attention to the massive disparity of income, wealth and privilege held by 1% of the population in nations across the world. In The 1% and the Rest of Us, Tim Di Muzio explores what it means to be part of a socio-economic order presided over by the super-rich and their political servants. Incorporating provocative and original arguments about philanthropy, social wealth and the political role of the super-rich, Di Muzio reveals how the 1% are creating a world unto themselves in which the accumulation of ever more money is really a symbolic drive to control society and the natural environment.
World rights available excluding South Africa, all languages excluding Catalan, Dutch, Greek, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish
The first historically informed, theoretically rich and empirically detailed study of what Occupy has called the 1%.
Tim Di Muzio debunks the radically antisocial belief that wealth is the sole result of individual efforts and talents. His contribution is novel and original, but it is also a significant part of a growing clamour for change. As the 1% take an ever greater share of global wealth, the search for solutions intensifies. "The 1% and the rest of us" unearths the reasons why 99% of humanity is seeing its share of wealth plummet.' Danny Dorling, author of Inequality and the 1% and Population 10 Billion
Tim Di Muzio is senior lecturer in international relations and political economy at the University of Wollongong in Australia. He currently edits the journal Review of Capital as Power.