- Rights Information
World rights available.
Each chapter is filled with practical information that will help you reap the fruits of big data and become a successful Data Scientist:
- Learn what big data is and how it differs from traditional data through its main characteristics: volume, variety, velocity, and veracity.
- Explore the different types of Data Scientists and the skillset each one has.
- Dig into what the role of the Data Scientist requires in terms of the relevant mindset, technical skills, experience, and how the Data Scientist connects with other people.
- Be a Data Scientist for a day, examining the problems you may encounter and how you tackle them, what programs you use, and how you expand your knowledge and know-how.
- See how you can become a Data Scientist, based on where you are starting from: a programming, machine learning, or data-related background.
- Follow step-by-step through the process of landing a Data Scientist job: where you need to look, how you would present yourself to a potential employer, and what it takes to follow a freelancer path.
- Read the case studies of experienced, senior-level Data Scientists, in an attempt to get a better perspective of what this role is, in practice.
Dr. Zacharias Voulgaris was born and raised in Greece. Upon completing a 5-year Engineering degree at the Technical University of Crete, he enrolled in the City University of London for a Masters course in Information Systems and Technology. Afterwards, he pursued a PhD in Birkbeck College (University of London), under the joint supervision of Prof. G. Magoulas and Prof. B. Mirkin, in the field of Machine Learning. Upon receiving his doctorate, he was recruited by the Georgia Institute of Technology as a research fellow. Since January 2013 he has been working as a Data Scientist.